Thursday 14 April 2016

Evaluation question 1

 In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products? (i.e. of music magazines)




The masthead of my magazine spreads across the width of my magazine just like on the cover of a Kerrang magazine. I made my font for my masthead on 'Dafont' and found a very simple font that is similar to the kerrang logo, plain, easy to read, bold, but different. As i know how popular the simple 'Kerrang' logo is, i decided to keep my masthead very similar and to challenge the way that Kerrang layout their magazine by keeping my magazine looking very similar to theirs. The colour of my masthead is Black and i used a red background to make it stand out and appeal to the audience. I chose  the title of 'DOWNLOADER' to that it is clear to the reader that the magazine relates to the festival 'download'. By doing this i can attract my target audience.

The graphology of my cover is very complex. I use a wide variety of font sizes across the page to either fit with in the space allowed or to look aesthetically pleasing. The fonts i use are 'groudyhvyface CN BT' 'Groudyhvyface BT' 'franklin gothic medium cond' and 'impact'. Most of these are very similar but the slight difference makes it more suitable for the use of what the text is trying to say but sticks to the theme. 'Impact' is the most solid font used on my cover which is why i used it for the main cover story as it attracts the reader and really stands out. I like to use fonts that are similar to the ones used on current magazines because they are easy to read. I used the first third of my cover to give examples of posters inside, the second third was purely the cover image and used the final third for the cover lines and text, very similar to the magazine example and the right. I put smaller headlines to the side of my magazine which will give the reader an idea of the kind of things they can expect in this months issue. My contents page also contains a large image spread across the top of the page, which limits the amount of text which is what a younger audience wants. Below the image (the bottom half) consists purely of writing and one tiny image of the editor which is similar to the layout of my double page spread which consists of 4 columns of writing on the right hand page and just and image and cover line on the left hand page. The reason i use quite simple and easy to read fonts is because the rest of the magazine is busy so i need to keep the text simple so the reader can follow it. I tried to keep the colours of the text the same small amount of colours through out to stick to a theme.  I decided to use a coloured background because looking at Kerrang, all there magazine have a colours background which instantly makes it look busier. I used an old Kerrang magazine as a template and tried to re-create it using my own images, text and fonts. I realized from researching into the Kerrang layout that it requires a lot of layers to make it busy. Just on my cover there is 60 layers. This includes every single bit of text, image and shape. I used circles on the cover to highlight certain information. Just like one issue of Kerrang, My magazine has a circle with the words 'UKs biggest gig guide' which will interests the people who like hearing about upcoming concerts and gigs.

When it came to the costume of my model i had to look into the styles used on NME and Kerrang magazines. I did my audience profile to understand what my audience looks like which will contribute to the style of my model, but after looking into the costume of the cover artists, i see that they dress the same as my audience but with extra accessories. For example, the necklace on my model and the tong bar, yes they are small but can add a lot to the image. The colour that i put my model is was black so that she stuck out from the red background just like the masthead. And i can see on almost all Kerrang magazines that the model has been brought forward over the masthead but not enough so you cant read it, therefore i have done the same on my music magazine. 

The colour scheme i chose for my magazine was kept to a minimum of colours (4 colours). I included these colours; Red, yellow, black, white. This is the same colour pallet that was used on a kerrang magazine so i could see how well they worked together before applying it to my own. I used a Burgundy red as my background that compliments the yellow but makes the black stand out, this worked well to bring out the model on the front. The white is good to use as text because it shows up more clearly on black than yellow does and adds another subtle change to the appearance.  

The artists on the magazines always look happy or involved with the audience. Only one of the images at the top is relatively serious, but the other 2 are happy and using and image of someone singing interacts with the audience. For this one i used an example of both types of image on all 3 of my pages. Including all images on my magazine there is a range of long shots, head shots and mid shots. Most magazine covers use either a mid shot or a close up shot on their cover so i therefore decided to go with a mid shot on my cover.


No comments:

Post a Comment